Old 12-08-2011, 06:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
laurie6781
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Well let's see. I went to lots and lots of meeting my first 6 to 9 months. Of course, it took me about 3 months to become clear headed enough to be able to remember what I read when I hit the period at the end of the sentence, lol

But I felt SAFE in meetings, so I went.

I don't know it was maybe at 5 or 6 months, I asked my sponsor how long I was going to have to go to meetings. Her response:

"You have to to meetings until you WANT to go to meetings, then you don't have to go anymore."

Sheesh that sure didn't make sense to me the first time she said it. But slowly, as my brain built new pathways to replace the ones I fried, it did start to make sense. I believe it was right after my first anniversary that I cut down to 5 or 6 meetings a week and stopped hitting 2 or 3 on a Saturday or Sunday. Even the 5 or 6 only a week put me in a 'tizzy', lol

What on earth was I going to do with all that extra time? Well slowly I found things to do. Some alone and some with my 'new friends' from AA and some with my new 'non drinking friends' from work.

I was starting to learn about "BALANCE" in my life.

I needed those meetings, even the ones I thought were really dumb. I started to realize that it was there that I felt SAFE and SECURE and didn't have to try to be something I wasn't.

So maybe look around for some 'new' meetings, be they with AA or Life Ring, or SMART. I know it took me quite a while to find the 'meetings' that seemed to say something to me.

Just my experience.

Love and hugs,