View Single Post
Old 12-07-2011, 06:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Hopeless4now

Alcoholic boyfriend

I don't know where to turn. My life is a wreck. My boyfriend is an alcoholic. He's had 3 DUIs and is continuously making irresponsible choices. I love him anyway. I am very responsible and mature for 29. I used to have everything together. I always paid my bills and had money. I went to work everyday. Now it seems that I live with him my life is going down. I love him though. I mean I truly love him with all my heart. He gives me empty promises. I don't know what to do. I don't know what the right choices are. I feel like I can't leave but it seems self-destructive to stay. How do you live with an alcoholic? Does it ever get better?
I keep hoping it will get better. He says he's trying. To be honest, I'm not sure what I even understand about the disease. He shuts me out so much when it comes to his drinking. I'm scared of losing him. I want to have a future with him. I would love to go to Al-anon but I feel like I can't trust him to leave him alone long enough to go. I make deals and I try to bargain but it never seems to get better or work. I'll take any advice or support I can get. I feel so alone and hopeless. I don't feel like I have anyone to talk to. I can't share this with my friends or family. The only people I feel I can talk to his family and I feel bad burdening them.