Old 12-06-2011, 10:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Nirvana1

I'm glad to hear you poured out the beer.

In my first AA meeting someone gave me their phone # and said "Just call before you go to the liquor store if nothing else." That gave me the comfort to reach out before it was too late. I remembered to reach out whenever I got the strong craving or bright idea that I should take a drink.

I suggest going to a meeting first thing in the morning and go over exactly what you did. It will be hard because your ego doesn't want everyone to think you need help at almost 2 years sober, but at this point you have been putting yourself at a really high risk. I can't tell you how many times the one drink or one day has taken people completely out of recovery all together. It's like the alcohol takes over right away and blocks out all the good we have accomplished.

I also suggest re-visiting the steps because it seems to me that you don't believe that you are powerless over alcohol. If AA got you sober than hopefully you can trust that it will work for you now.

I'm glad you talked yourself out of drinking tonight or tomorrow morning, but you've described a lot of the equation of what takes place before a relapse.