View Single Post
Old 12-04-2011, 05:02 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Eddiebuckle

Originally Posted by RedCandle View Post
Eddie...wow...18 months...I did not know that!

Are there resources where I can read up on this? I know there are al anon groups...but I'm not sure I'm ready for that. Any good reading I can do on relationships and recovery?
A great book that I picked up right after rehab is Under the Influence by Milam - it's a little dated (originally came out in the 80's) but it covers the physiology of addiction and recovery. It opened my eyes, and helped me understand that what I was experiencing was normal and part of the healing process. And the hard part was thinking "18 months!? are you kidding me!" but the truth is that the healing is quickest in early sobriety and trails off. By 6-9 months you are pretty much back but your circuitry and the neurochemistry takes time to get back, and it's not something you notice on a day to day basis but for sure you can look back over the course of months and see changes in mental acuity, rentention of information, etc. UIT closes with a lot on diet and how that affects ones recovery - I personally am a little skeptical of that but I unreservedly recommend the book. It costs $8 new in paperback - worth every penny imo.