View Single Post
Old 12-02-2011, 08:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
wellnowwhat

I do.

I am relatively lucky in that my AH is a good guy, drunk or sober. He closet drinks daily, gets quieter and then goes to bed. He is employed and pulls his weight around the house. No drama, no fights, no intimacy. I view him as a room mate now. It's easier that way.

I go to Alanon once or twice a week. I read here. I do my own thing. Make my own plans.

When I realized he was not drinking "at" me, he was just drinking, I lost a lot of bitterness and resentment. It allowed me to have some compassion for him. As I work my program, things have improved.

When I read that "most people are as happy as they choose to be" I decided to make a conscious effort to choose joy. I am not always successful, but I am surprised at how often I am happy.

It's not ideal (obviously! I'm here!), but day to day is not bad at all, and most days are actually fairly good. Knowing it is progressive, and having seen that in the past, it feels like I'm in the eye of a hurricane, waiting and wondering when the second wall will hit.