View Single Post
Old 12-02-2011, 12:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
DesperateFather

Is paying for a lawyer enabling?

My 21 yo son is in desperate trouble with the law again over his drinking. Over the past 2 years he got a DUI with a minor hit and run. We paid for a lawyer. With the lawyer's help he was sentenced to court referral, rehab, and community service. He completed rehab, completed referral, and completed community service two months ago. Fully clear of the law and with a good new job. He went to AA for a while but quit, said he really wasn't an alcoholic, and continued to drink in what appeared to be smaller, controlled quantity. However we had strong beliefs that he was covering up a much worse dependancy. He is living on his own and paying for an appartment. His mother and I do not drink and told him he was to never come to the house drinking. He has also been diagnosed with depression and previously ADHD however he is not currently on meds. He has never handled stress well.

Thanksgiving night he had a tramatic experience which appears to have set him off. He drank considerably before coming to my house. I confronted him about it, not angrily, expressed my dissapointment and he flew into a rage and ran out of the house with me begging him not to. Long story short, he ran into someone and drove off. Police found him at his appartment. This is his second DUI in under 3 years. Also the people he hit were not hurt seriously but I understand they did go to the doctor as a result. I am now told that a hit and run DUI with injury is a felony in this state. He needs a lawyer, but there is no way he can pay one. I do not know extent of the trouble he is in.

He is remorseful, admitted he has a problem, and has asked us to take him to AA meetings. We are also helping get him to work when he cannot find another ride. But I have been lied too for years. Dont know what to believe. But none of this negates the fact he is in serious legal trouble. Is it enabling for me to hire him a lawyer?