Old 11-30-2011, 11:49 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  
HuskyPup
Shape-Shifting Super-Hero

Originally Posted by langkah View Post
HP...Passing out flyers as the crowd is exiting a meeting is a great idea. I hope that you decide to do that.

Many are compelled to be there because of various offenses or parole after prison time and they'd often much rather be in any small group where they can act as they'd like to act.

Line up about 10 and you've got the makings of a good group session.
I think I will try this. I have talked to the local Unitarian Church about the idea, and they thought it a good idea, though we would need to pay a room rental fee, as any other group would.

I am going to contact a few other potential meeting places, as well...the local GLBT center is one, though it might limit things too much, as many might feel uncomfortable going, and there is a liberal Episcopal church nearby that seems like a goos place to try, as well. and t

Well, thanks langkah for the support in the idea of passing out fliers, and maybe even posting them on bulletin boards where meetings are already held. I am sure there are some in AA who will not at like this, but then again, there are many there who will also just leave, and never return, and at least this offers something, another chance. If anyone gets crabby, I will simply reply that, like them, I am only trying to help people, which is, in fact the case, myself included. I just hope I don't get beat up outside of a meeting for this...well, if I do, I can then sue them, and use the money for the room rental fee, always good to look at the positives, here.

Now to come up with careful wording, so that it does not seem to be 'bashing' anything, but offering an alternative, emphasizing the positive, but perhaps mentioning frustration with concepts like gods and higher powers as 'necessary'.

And then to consider certain structural aspects, as even the most 'open' groups benefit by some degree of organization.

Maybe in trying to create, I will find more drive and energy to abstain...I was pondering that for some people, it is things like creation and reinvention that are more helpful than following prescriptive guidelines.