View Single Post
Old 11-30-2011, 10:26 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Tosh

Originally Posted by lostbutterfly View Post
sounds interesting, must see if the audio book is available on audible.com so i can put it on my ipod.
You'll find loads on mindfulness all over the interweb; it's basically about reining in your thoughts into the present; right here, right now. Not taking out the trash and thinking about the bills that are due; but doing one thing at a time.

It's kinda like meditating on the move; and neuroscience think meditation helps with mindfulness; it conditions the brain into being more present, rather than ruminating in the past, or worrying about the future.

It's a practise though, not easy. If you could remember to do 20 short periods of mindfulness per day, that'd be pretty good going. I try, for example, to use red traffic lights while I'm driving as 'bells of mindfulness'. So when I'm driving and a light changes to red, it's a reminder to rein in my thoughts into the present and really just try to feel what's going on with my body and senses without the cognitive dialogue that's always going round my head. It kinda changes something unpleasant, into something a little more pleasant.

Hope that helps. And there is science (google) to back both mindfulness and meditation up (they really go hand-in-hand I think).