Old 11-29-2011, 08:40 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Tosh

Originally Posted by HuskyPup View Post
What gives AA such a monopoly on groups?
There have been other organisations; the Washingtonions were forerunners of A.A. and big in their day:

Washingtonian movement - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But they fell apart because of various reasons; hence A.A. has the Traditions so it doesn't fall foul of the same mistakes.

But starting a new group is a commitment. You have to find a place, pay the rent, buy literature, and hope you get enough members for it to be worthwhile. You may even be out of pocket, having to support the meeting yourself (I knew a guy who did this), while waiting for people to start using the meeting. Not to mention that you have to turn up, week in, week out, until new members can take over the running of the group.

It takes people who want to give something back to do this kinda thing; people with real love in their hearts. I'm always impressed when a new meeting starts up; that's gratitude in action.

Oh, new groups also start with resentments too; someone gets cross at the group, picks up 'their' coffee pot and says, 'stuff you, I'm gonna start up a proper A.A. group!', and marches off and starts one up.

So what makes A.A. a monopoly? I guess because it works (not for all; I know I know); and some members, driven by compassion and gratitude, they branch out and start new groups where they perceive a need; and others just get a 'resentment' and start a new group up.

It's all good!

I think that's how it works.