View Single Post
Old 11-24-2011, 02:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
wywriter

This brings a couple of questions to my mind -- how long have you been together, and how long has he been in AA? Everyone is different, but my own husband is only mean either when he's been drinking, or when he REALLY wants a drink but doesn't have the money to go get one. Those mood swings actually sound about identical...sometimes the first hint I'd get that my AH was drinking is that he'd be talking to me perfectly fine, then I'd say something completely harmless and he'd get this cold expression on his face and say something utterly horrible. I don't know which of these might be the issue with him, or if it's something completely different...but it does sound like something to get a better feel for while you still have your own place and don't have your entire lives intertwined.

As for increasing in the future -- watch and wait is all you can really do, but if there's even a hint in your mind that he could get physically violent then get the heck out of there. My own husband is much larger and more powerful than me, and his meanness has escalated from, "Well if you ever got off your fat a-s and did anything around here..." to, "You would be doing the world a favor if you committed suicide," and, "It's a good thing I'm here, our daughter would die of neglect without me." He has drawn back like he was going to hit me a few times recently...and I can only wonder how long it'll be before he doesn't hold back anymore.

Again...everyone is different, and it may never get to that point. Maybe he just has fits of irritability sometimes, and he's only now getting acquainted with his non-drunk self. It's just something to definitely monitor, because you never know how something like that can play out.

And big virtual (((((HUGS!!)))) to you too