Old 11-19-2011, 07:03 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Mark75

Originally Posted by Pigtails View Post

Or is the foundation of the program totally biased because it assumes the worst in people/alcoholics?
Nope, it's just the opposite. well...

The foundation of the program is spiritual. The problem is not the alcohol, the problem is us.... Alcohol is mentioned only in the first step.

OTT laid out some reasons why he thinks AA considers alcoholism a moral failing. I think he has it wrong, and, he will think I do, and that's OK..... Hmmm.... Since the basis of AA is spiritual, our journey must be one of removing that which blocks us from our higher power. Therefore, we must take inventory and discover what that is. No big deal, frankly I assume that it is part of the human essence to have "character defects" and I am not personally offended by that notion.

It's nice to have you here on SR, it is helpful for all of us to explore these questions... well, it is for me.

I read Undrunk... Downloaded on my kindle. Definitely give it a read, but my own experience with AA is much richer and deeper than what is discussed in that book... Read the text of AA.... "Alcoholics Anonymous" ... that's the program of AA... not meetings, meetings support the program AA. See what YOU think.