Old 11-18-2011, 03:19 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
bubblehead

Originally Posted by BryanS View Post
For some bizarre reason there are people who are hell bent on telling us that AA doesn't work, or it's a cult, or it's a Christian/Religious program; that admitting "powerlessess" makes us wimps or zombies or cultists or doormats. I read this stuff and ask myself "What meetings do these people go to? Have they ever really looked at the steps, or are they just making assumptions based on their own personal agenda and baggage?".

I look at the people around the table at my home group, and I see happiness, and hear laughter, and hopefulness. And this is bad because...?

Are 12-step programs for everyone? Of course not. But...

...then that's all you need to know.

And CONGRATULATIONS on your 13 days!
I think what meetings people initially go to make a difference. My first was a large meeting crammed with a large amount of people, no close parking, creepy men that followed me to my car. Offensive topics. All the while spouting "god".
Then I found a nice group at a local hospital that was more...I dunno... civilized? One of the ladies took me to a women's group which was nice too, night and day. Did not continue to live in that area but if I did I would have continued with the latter two groups.
I am not into AA myself but the big book is definitely of value to anyone who wants to quit drinking.