Old 11-18-2011, 03:18 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Pigtails

Thank you everyone for all the helpful (and some humorous responses. It’s helpful to remember that not all alcoholics are the same, although when I go to AA meetings I feel very much like many of the other members! So I start to think that the disease affects all of us the same way, and that may not be true. Sometimes I am too extreme/black and white in my thinking.

For me, I have been dishonest and immoral about many things, not just drinking, or while drinking. Sometimes I find myself thinking, “Well I HOPE it was my alcoholism that made me do some of this stuff… and that that’s not really me!” The strange thing is, the same day I thought that, I read a portion from the book I am really trying to improve my way of living, which I’ve realized I can’t do while drinking.

Awuh, thanks for the link to the letter from Carl Jung, I found it very interesting. I have been listening to Jennifer Knapp/Christian music that I liked in high school, even though I’m no longer Christian. I find it helpful to use as a metaphor, like, turning my life over to a higher power of my understanding (not that I’ve figured out exactly what that is yet). So this is all very interesting for me to think about. Thank you.

Zebra- Thanks for recommending Undrunk, I already wanted to check it out and now I definitely will. :-)