Old 11-16-2011, 04:46 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
onlythetruth
Member of SMART Recovery

Originally Posted by HuskyPup View Post
I have thought of starting anew account, but I think they would figure out it was me, just by what I might post, and my writing style...I would have to be very, very careful.

Ah, how I got kicked out, with a drove of others...well, it is a long story, and hard to explain, as it makes little sense to me, either. I recall once after I moved to this arts warehouse where I live now, where there are some shard bathrooms/showers, I said how I saw a cute art college student in a little towel, and it made me smile, thinking back to when I was in school, and met my bf for the first time. Now, I have been with my mate 20 years, and I did not see the harm is commenting that seeing a handsome figure darting across the hall was something, well, beautiful. They said it was horrible, sexist, and objectifying...but I see a lot of posts where somebody might say somebody they saw or know is 'hot' or what not, and I am not a person even prone to make such comments, but did so out of levity, to try and not be so dark. But I really got raked over the coals for it, and it baffled me...I guess, as a gay male, I seldom even make all those, 'Oh, he's hot' comments, but the one time I did, woah, it was like I killed Jesus. That, and they just got more and more rigid with what you could even talk about...and so it evolved into a spat over what was 'appropriate', and they came out with a list that basically made anything they felt was inappropriate a cardinal sin, and thus, many people got the boot, me included.

There's so many things they got more and more touchy about...it came to be very restrictive feeling, for all the talk of accepting things, and disputing what upset you with those ABCs.

The RL meetings did not feel like this, though.
Hmmmmm.....that is interesting, HP. I have found the SMART Recovery forums very accepting too.

I think I MIGHT know what happened, although I certainly can't claim to know for sure.

SMART Recovery seems to me to be very sensitive to the issue of sexual predators. Obviously, you were not engaging in predatory behavior by making those comments. But, certain recovery programs have been known to have problems with sexual predators, and sometimes SMART gets....well, "refugees" from those programs who are emotionally raw and react strongly to any mention of sexual matters. I think SMART really goes out of its way to make those people feel safe. In theory, this is good thing, but I could see where they could overreact at times, too.