View Single Post
Old 11-16-2011, 06:45 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
DrivenHeart85
Always, Never & Forever

SSIL75 makes a good point. There has to be something you like about drinking that has you coming back for more still. When that reason pops up in your head you can either attribute it to your addicted side and ignore it (because your addicted side will always give you reasons to drink) or you can troubleshoot and look for a way to substitute that benefit with something that doesn't include drinking. For instance, if it's because you'd like a way to relax, you can brainstorm of other things to do for relaxation or you can just ignore that part of your heads that kicks in and demands that you need alcohol in order to relax, or you can even do both if you truly do need some relaxation time.

It's perfectly okay to be honest with yourself and ask why you might still like drinking. Even if you're 99% sure you absolutely don't want to drink anymore, just dig into that 1% because you're addictive side is probably using it to get you to drink. I know when I was new to sobriety I would've thought someone was making a jab at me by insisting that part of me still wanted to drink but humans are smart, we tend not to do anything unless we'll benefit from it in some way. Ask yourself what was going through your mind before your last relapse...you should be able to find the perceived benefit in those thoughts if you can remember them.