Old 11-13-2011, 10:55 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  
Feeblemind

hmm, interesting to see so many different levels of opinions. not sure even where to start. well to wiegh in i personally donot think that it is a disease specific. i do think it should be classified as a disease to help those who are in active addiction recieve treatment for the problem. to say that addiction is a disease specific is seemingly offencive to some people. just because someone has say a generic problem shared in some part by a larger population, does not mean it is a pass to excuse behavior. I see no distiction between mental health disorders and addiction. it seems unless the label of disease is applied to the affliction there isn't much help offered in the population at large. whitch if removed would leave alot of addicts untreated ,whitch either side of the fence your on would be a travesty. i tend to believe with all of the people ive met since my introduction into recovery for every one undeserving soul there are many other good individuals who are misguided and lost and just want to make their loved ones happy again.
I decided to repond to this thread because i'm a bit biased, the members of the recovery community seem to chant the montra to such extreme that it allieviates responsiblity for previous actions, whitch to be honest i feel is a method of glossing over the reality of the situation. I am an addict, i have done some terrible things, and i owe it to those i've done wrong to grasp the pain ive caused and make atonement where i can. On the other side of the coin there are individulas in my life that wish suffering upon me for past transgressions. on this not even my actual suffering will alleviate that wraith in them. i pray for them and hope they can cope with these things without following my path into drinking and drugs.
I am an addict
I suffer from a chronic, progressive, and self-destructive flaw in my thought process whitch affects my behavior, i made these bad choices and have to live with that
I am glad that they determined this be a disease, otherwise i would have caused pain to those around me and died alone. Instead i have been given a chance to make amends and to be here as a responsible productive member of society

Addiction isn't really a disease , but i'm sure glad someone else said it was