View Single Post
Old 11-11-2011, 11:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Chuck48

Personality changes?

When I first started dating my boyfriend, I was thinking about quitting, but my attempts at sobriety were truly half-hearted (and I knew it). For nearly every date, he would pick me up from my house. As someone who suffers with social anxiety AND a tendency to drink more than I should, you can probably guess what I was during right before he'd pick me up...

I never told him that I consider myself an alcoholic, but a couple months into our dating, I did tell him I planned to stop drinking due to health issues. I guarantee he has no idea that I ever abused alcohol.

Last night, he told me that he liked how cheerful, chatty, and spontaneous I was when we first started dating. He said that I've been more withdrawn and serious the past couple months. He hinted that he liked my previous personality more than my current one. To be honest, I do too, but I don't plan to start drinking again to get it back.

Do any of you ever feel like people liked your alcohol-flavored personality more than your sober one? It's kind of a shame, but maybe once I'm fully comfortable with and stable in my sobriety, I'll regain some of my old charm.