View Single Post
Old 11-11-2011, 05:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Pelican
peaceful seabird

Oh my, I felt the same way when reading the book (the first time). My biggest issue was my mother.

In reading the book for the first time, I felt like there was a photo album of names and faces flashing before my eyes. I wanted to buy a copy for my mom, my sister, and one for my alcoholic. I wanted the alcoholic to read it so he would know about the changes I was making.

I never got my mom, sister or alcoholic to read that book.

I read it.

I read it again.

Then I noticed the dysfunctional cycles continued after an extended period of time, so I read it again and did the exercises at the end of the chapters.

It took reading the book more than once for me to realize that the only person I could change with that information was myself. Just seeing the roles in my dysfunctional family of origin, did not help me remove my unhealthy reactions. It just gave me labels for the behaviors around me. I would say that was my Awareness Step. I was aware of the behavior throughout my home and family.

By re-reading the book, I was able to Accept the behaviors as part of how my family of origin chose to respond to life situations. I also had to Accept that I was carrying on unhealthy generational reactions.

It wasn't until I took the time to read the book and do the exercises at the end of each chapter, that I moved into the Action step of recovery. I was able to take Action (baby steps) to respond to others behaviors without trying to control the outcomes.

For me, I needed to read the material and move through the phases of Awareness, Acceptance and Action at each reading. I wasn't ready to digest all the information after one reading. It was a gradual process for me, and it is one I continue to work on as I grow in recovery.

Peace and hugs to you as you find your way!