Thread: Beer to Whiskey
View Single Post
Old 11-09-2011, 07:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
tlm56

Beer to Whiskey

My AH is almost 62, he has been a heavy drinker most of his life. He is up and down on the drinking, when he drinks it is with an all or none attitude. He was downing an average of 90 beers a week when he drank. He may drink for weeks or months at a time, then quit for days, weeks or months. Here recently he has switched from beer to whiskey, the whiskey affects him differently, he gets staggering, slobbering, sloppy drunk, besides loud and obnoxious. I can't wait until he passes out.
It used to be my stomach would just knot up at every pop of the beer can, now the smell of whiskey makes me almost sick. I know this is stressing me and I want to be able to just let it go, but the gut wrenching feeling knowing its gonna be another drunk night, just gets to me.
I never say anything to him about his drinking other than his health is not good already and drinking is not a healthy option. I hold it all in and suffer in silence over what it does to me. Or should I say what I allow it to do to me...
He just recently got out of the hospital for pnemonia because he has COPD from many years of smoking. He quit smoking when we got togather, but the damage was already done. He has also had heart attacks, triple bypass heart surgery, lung surgery, back surgery and only one functioning kidney.
So, here is a man who is not all that healthy drinking a 5th or two of whiskey a night.
I just needed to vent, he is sober tonight and sleeping after a hard drunk last night. At his age and with his health problems, my biggest fear is that one day this hard drinking is going to be the end of him and I feel totally helpless to stop it.