Old 11-07-2011, 02:46 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
NightsWatch

Hi tuffy, I'm a little skeptical of AA, and I haven't gotten too involved so far, so I can't really comment as to what it says in The Book. I appreciate your post because I have similar sentiments, and I've spent my whole adult life putting things off until I'm "ready". Lately I'm of the mind that perhaps it's time to just live life as it occurs because I'm never going to be "ready". Learning to cope with life (good/bad/boring/etc.) without using alcohol is the goal here. You can't learn to cope if you're avoiding everything that might potentially screw things up.

That said, I will say that loneliness is a big reason I became an addict in the first place. Before the feelings of emptiness or loneliness can be consciously detected, I'd grab for the bottle. As a result, I'd been proudly proclaiming to my friends over the years that I'm perfectly content to be alone, when in reality, I wasn't feeling them because I'd been numbing myself whenever those feelings start coming up. Since I've tried to really stop, I've had to actually confront those feelings that I've been trying to run away from and I've realized that I really, really hate being alone. It feels like **** to really let those feelings in and not be able to drown it away or distract myself in other ways. One thing about relationships is that it's an effective way to distract yourself from whatever those feelings are that drive you to drink. That's good in some ways, but it also doesn't really fix the underlying problem. If a relationship goes south, what then? It might be extra tempting to go back to the bottle because you haven't figured out a way to be alone without using anything to make that feeling go away.

Anyway, just rambling thoughts here from someone in the same boat. My gut feeling is that if you are getting involved with someone to distract yourself from your feelings of loneliness, then that isn't a good reason to get involved. If you meet someone who is genuinely a great match for you, then you should proceed cautiously.