Old 11-06-2011, 08:59 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
eJoshua
I'm here to learn!

I'm going to weigh in here, although I'm definitely not at risk of getting involved with anyone romantically any time soon, lol.

I agree with Lily -- I too have a tendency to "fix" on people, or obsess over people. Many of my past relationships have failed because I didn't really know how to let my respective partners have any space. I tend to get so wrapped up in people that I don't feel comfortable in my own skin. No one person should have to bear the weight of me placing my worth in them, and unfortunately that's what I've done repeatedly.

I am hoping that as I continue to work the steps I work through some of the resentments that have built up and learn to have a "right sized" opinion of myself. I think the arbitrary choosing of one year really doesn't matter, it's more about where you are in your recovery. I know that I won't be getting involved in any relationships until the people I am counting on to support me think it's a good idea and I think it's a good idea. Honestly going through heartbreak at this early stage in my recovery would put my sobriety in danger, and that's not a risk I'm willing to take.