View Single Post
Old 11-04-2011, 07:03 AM
  # 152 (permalink)  
LittleSparrow

Deserto, it's great that you came back here. You may have had a slip, but it's clear that you're not giving up. You can take it as a learning experience. You've been making progress, so keep up what you've been doing and see if you can add some more tools for dealing with the challenges. Something tripped you up. Was it the challenges themselves, or was it the amount of challenges as a whole? Maybe if it's the latter, you can just take each one as it comes instead of worrying about the whole unmanageable chunk. Like Tanja said, you've helped me too. You can do this!

Goodcheer, remember how hard the first days of not drinking were? You took each day and got through it. It might not have been fun or easy, but in the end each day was a success and then you moved on to conquer the next day. Maybe you can take your mother's visit the same way---just get through each day, consider it a success that you made it through, and know that it'll all be over after a few days. It's good that you're recognizing her visit as a challenge to your sobriety. She's like your alcoholic voice in human form! If she's getting on your nerves, see if you can go somewhere else in the house (bathroom break?) to take a few deep breaths and let a few of the minutes you have to spend with her tick by. I don't know if you'll be able to stick close to SR while she's visiting, but keep us in mind and know that we're all behind you. And I've often found that people who constantly find faults with others are just too afraid to look at their own faults. Like Tanja said, I wouldn't have wine for her in the house. If she wants it, she can get it herself. She found her way to the library, so she can find her own way to get whatever else she wants. I also think Sadsoul had some great advice. Formulate your plan now, but don't let it get you down before she arrives. Crank up some music and do some cleaning because you and your girls deserve to live in a clean home, not just because your mother will be chiding you. Good luck!!