View Single Post
Old 11-04-2011, 06:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
dbh

ACA & Procrastination

One thing that I find very frustrating with myself is that I'm a procrastinator.

Not sure if it's an ACA trait or a personality trait. However, it's preventing me from achieving the life that I want.

Growing up in a dysfunctional home doesn't really teach you good "life skills". I learned to be obsessed with other people, to avoid being seen, to be super sensitive to the needs of others, etc. We didn't spend much time talking/thinking about long-term goals and breaking down big tasks into small achievable steps. In our house we sort of just addressed each crisis as it occurred and I find myself still doing that.

As a child I also liked to live in my own head. I would get lost in books and movies. I spent a lot of time daydreaming about the family/home I wished I had.

Now I'm an adult with my own family and I actually have control (to some extend) to the family life I'm creating here. Yet, I still daydream. I have a LONG list of everything I want to do but I have such a hard time following through.

Before recovery, some of my drive came from what I thought others thought of me. Now that I'm worrying less about others, I need to find another source of motivation.

Is procrastination and difficulty setting/achieving goals an ACA trait?

I'm almost 50 and I'm worried that it's too late for me to change.

Thanks for letting me share.

db