View Single Post
Old 11-03-2011, 06:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
sojourner

Even the rehab centers fragment

The more stories I read about loved ones in rehab, the more I see a pattern. the rehab centers do not seem to bring in the family into the plans for the addict's future post discharge. To hell with HIPAA - these people's lives are at risk.

So many family members come on here without a clue about where their loved one should be living, etc. after discharge. I get the impression that while their loved one was in rehab they never ever had any sessions with the staff.

Am I missing something? It seems like the families should be in the loop of things from the day their loved one is admitted to a facility. They should not be relying on their addicted loved one to be telling them the plans - that just seems to me to be a continuation of the same old fragmenting. What a waste.

I am involved in a program that helps Jewish Russian immigrants acclimate to this country. In order to be eligible for this program (involving psychiatric care, medical care, translation, transportation, help with dealing with public agencies, housing, etc), the person has to have a support person (usually family member) who is required to be involved in their care and also has to meet with the case manager for training and education. So I know it can be done.

My vent. Thanks for reading.