View Single Post
Old 10-31-2011, 06:28 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
tromboneliness

Originally Posted by likealion View Post
My mother has told my dad that he has to find a different place to live by mid-November. There's a lot of sneaking around, and women that he knows via Facebook have been sneaking him beer. We caught him trying to sneak beer at my sister's wedding a few weeks ago, but we had already told the bartender not to serve him. He is hell-bent on continuing drinking.
You and your mom are taking the right approach. If your dad wants to drink, there's no point in trying to stop him, because he's always going to be cleverer than you. What's more, if he wants to drink, that's his right. If he wants to get sober and healthy at some point, that's his decision. My Dad never did, although the ironic thing is that his death may have been precipitated partly by the effects of alcohol withdrawal when he tried to give it up (finally, at the age of 90). Whatever. It was his right to drink, and he did.

I'd say try a different Al-Anon meeting -- there are a lot of them, and the perspectives vary a lot from one group to another. Some people have trouble with all the God-this and God-that, but as an atheist (basically), I just take what I need and leave the rest, as they suggest! Good luck....

T