Thread: Newbie
View Single Post
Old 10-30-2011, 07:45 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
FT

You know, "trying to quit drinking for three years" says something right there. It may be your hypochondria itself that is making it hard. At least if you are still drinking, you have something to blame your symptoms on.

You see, it takes one to know one. I border on hypochondria now, but I was a worse hypochondriac before I quit drinking long ago. With drinking still in the picture, you feel some semblance of control over being "sick". You are right, of course, that eventually the alcohol WILL make you sick if you don't do something about it.

When I finally quit drinking, I discovered what I had feared all along -- the alcohol WASN"T the cause of every single ache and pain I had blamed it for. On alcohol, every bad feeling was a hangover, every headache was "the wine", all my weight problems, too. That kind of stuff. After quitting, which I also "tried" to do for years before actually doing it, I grew to accept that EVERYONE feels aches and pains sometimes, and getting sick at times is part of being a human being.

Maybe where you should focus for your health concerns is your fear of quitting drinking. Maybe none of what I say rings true, but you sound so much like I did. I'm glad you're seeing your docs and being honest. In these days of medical specialty, it's no wonder all your symptoms are isolated out for separate treatment. You might want to try an older generalist, if any still exist in your area.

FT