View Single Post
Old 09-02-2004, 10:35 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Blondie

Up until a few months ago I was only staying for financial reasons and had planned to get a job and leave next year when my youngest child is in school. Now I am staying because my husband is going to AA and is finally willing to face his problem (I've been working on my problems for the last few years in counseling and al-anon) and is willing to work on our marriage. This is the first time that he has EVER admitted to being an alcoholic. He used to refuse to set foot in an AA meeting or a counselor's office, but now has changed his tune. I am hopeful and supportive. But regardless of what happens, I am still getting a job next year so I am not trapped in the same situation again (we had agreed that I would be a stay-at-home mom, but when your married to an alcoholic, things just don't seem to work out quite the way you agreed upon in the beginning). He was almost killed in a car accident in late spring because of his drinking, so I hope that that was a wake up call. But if he returns to his old way of life, I'll have to take the kids and leave because I really don't want to see (or want my kids to see) my husband rot away or die on the highway because of his drinking.