Old 10-27-2011, 06:50 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
humblestudent

To me, taking antidepressants is like taking insulin for diabetes. Not everyone is the same - however my depression is definitely "clinical" and well established. I had clinical depression from the time I was about 10 years old. Never received anti-depressants until I was about 23. They changed my life. When I take my medicication, I am not high, or giddy, or euphoric, or weird. I am what I approximate to be "normal". When I do not take my medication, I sob at the drop of a at, isolate myself, am irrationally negative about everyone and everything, and generally have zero, and I mean ZERO motivation to do anything but sit around and think about ways out. My meds are no crutch. They are necessary for me.

Also, again, I know everyone's different - but in spite of my love for alcohol, and how it lights up my brain in neon, I've never had an affinity for any pill. Not even benzos, which have cross tolerance with alcohol. Pills just never interested me. To me, they are like taking cough syrup - only for when you're sick, and then when you're not - done. So, it is possible to LOVE alcohol, bathe in it, and have zero interest in other drugs/pills.

BUT - you must talk to your doctor about this. Not us - because if you ask, you'll get 10 opinions telling you your not sober, and 10 telling you that you are. I personally believe you are sober by the way. Are you drinking? No? Ok. Are you high from your anti depressants? I doubt it. Ok. You're sober! (In my humble opinion).