Old 10-26-2011, 05:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
wpainterw

I agree with what has been said as regards always following your doctor's advice. I have these additional suggestions however. First, it's important to make sure your doctor is up to speed on treating persons with alcohol and substance abuse problems. Second, it's important to be completely candid with your doctor and disclose all the facts. Third, to protect yourself, or, rather, to help your doctor protect you, I suggest that you have an arrangement with him or her to limit the amount of each prescription and the number of refills. That way your doctor will have control over whether you are following the instructions. I say this because of my own experience. In a period of forty years I saw a great many doctors and some of them were not helpful. For example, one gave me a prescription for 100 Xanax with two or three refills. The first doctor I ever went to gave me a prescription for chloral hydrate (a highly addictive narcotic) in liquid form (possibly with an alcohol base) which was perpetually renewable (you could do that legally in those days). I became addicted to that over a period of three or four years. Sometimes I would combine it with alcohol, which creates a life threatening situation. A third doctor treated me for insomnia by prescribing seconol and sodium amytal (a fast acting and longer acting barbiturate) to be taken together. These were not quack doctors. They all had excellent credentials.
So with these additional comments I would agree with what has been said.

W.