View Single Post
Old 10-26-2011, 11:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Aegian

Yep - you sound exactly like me. In fact, when I landed in the ER unexpectedly with alcoholic pancreatitis last fall, it stunned my friends and co-workers as they have known me for over a decade yet never knew I drank.

Picture of health, never missed a morning meeting, always on top of things and ahead of the curve. Went out socially with friends on weekends and co-workers after work.

Saved my drinking for home where I was a party for one drinker. My nightly "unwind" after work or meeting friends out was a 5th of scotch a day. Yep - $40 every other day buying the jug with the glass handle and rotating liquor stores so as to not get to know the staff.

You don't reference your age, but I am in my mid-40s and have been a nightly drinker since my early 20s. Alcoholism is progressive, and I likely would not have given it a second thought 10 years ago. I will be at 60 days sober tomorrow and guess I lost the frame of reference on what feeling well really felt like as I slowly sunk deeper into the muck.

If you decide to quit, you need to do it for you. The reasons and motivations need to be your own. My only recommendation is to do it while you are still feeling healthy and active. Booze will end up sucking the life blood out of you if you let it.