View Single Post
Old 10-26-2011, 10:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Bobby1

Is anyone like me?

Does anyone know of anyone similar to me – am I an Anomaly? Most of the behavior and symptoms of alcoholism as described in these self help web sites do not seem to apply to me. (Though to be sure, I want to stop drinking or drink less, but can’t seem to accomplish that, and I drink way too much. I have an overwhelming urge to drink in the evenings in order to feel well relaxed for a good nights sleep). I have been drinking heavily for about 7 or 8 years. In the past 500 days or so I have drank every single day (until one week ago). I almost always drink only in the evening except for rare social events that might begin as early as noon. I never miss work. I don’t have trouble meeting any commitments. I train for running and bicycling races without any difficulties and I compete at a high level. I am trim and fit. I do not get hangovers. I do not stumble or generally behave drunk. I have a good appetite with good digestion.

Now, here is the really odd thing that makes me wonder about myself: I have about 85 to 100 drinks every week - about 10 to 15 per night! My ability to function so well has been a hindrance to stopping. I have not had a drink for 4 straight days and am not experiencing any shakes or anxiety or any significant side effects. (I have an occasional twitch and a tiny bit of prickly feeling on my face at night usually).

I would be interested in hearing if this sounds like reasonable behavior and what I should focus on to motivate me to lesson my drinking when all seems to be going fairly well. Thanks for listening.