Old 10-26-2011, 09:46 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
theatredork

Thank you.

For this (yeah, that was me too - now I'm seven and a half months sober and so grateful):
I still get tempted, though temptation is perhaps too strong a word. I can observe the desire to drink from a more or less dispassionate distance, but I just let it be. Rather than white-knuckle through the temptations, I go there, I go all the way. I think, ok, you want to pick up that drink? Do it. Pick it up in your head. Down it. Are you going to stop there? No, you're not. Down that next one, and the next. Are you done yet? Not by a long shot. Speaking of which, knock that shot back. Take the next one offered. And the next. And the next. Finish the drinks of other people on the table when they're not looking. Laugh it off when they complain. Doesn't matter what they're drinking, as long as it's alcohol. Do you still remember your name? What you have to do tomorrow? Where are you waking up? How did you get home, if indeed you are home? How do you feel? How fast is your heart racing? How much are your hands trembling? What did you say and do last night? Now that you've gone all the way in your head, do you still want to pick up that first drink? Didn't think so...