View Single Post
Old 09-02-2004, 12:16 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
jalacola

I am where you are right now

My husband has been out of rehab for 2 weeks. Today is (was) his 30 day sobriety day. He celebrated by drinking. We have been together for 9 years, married for 6. We have 2 beautiful children, a 5 year old son and a 3 month old daughter. He went with some buddies for a fantasy football draft. He even called his sponsor twice before he got there for support and strength. He proceeded to drink 5 beers and a shot. But what's worse is that he lied about it all, even after he was caught. He doesn't feel remorseful at all. His main concern was covering his a**, which is what he has always attempted to do when drinking. He risked his job by drinking tonight, as he was honest about going to rehab and tonight when he chose to drink, the VP of his company was there. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if he is fired when he gets there tomorrow. This is where I have a difficult time seeing alcoholism as a disease. People with cancer don't chose to have cancer. But my husband CHOSE to drink tonight. He had the choice. No one FORCED him to be stupid. I can't do this with him again. It was the most peaceful time in our marriage while he was in treatment and it has been wonderful since he has been home. But now, I have all of the same feelings, worries, stress, everything that I did before. In one night, he just undid everything. Please email me if you need to talk. I am in your shoes right now.