View Single Post
Old 10-23-2011, 05:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
GettingBy

Recovery truly brings peace and serenity... But we have to work for it and earn it. It gets lost easily if I become lazy or complacent.

As I mentioned in another post, today is/was our wedding anniversary. Earlier this week, I was a bit nervous... Not sure how I would handle it. I talked to my sponsor about it. We discussed redefining the day. And that is just what I did.

I was suppose to have the day alone with the kids. I found out last night that I would just have them in the morning... Ok, no problem. I woke up and found out that AH had yet again changed his mind and wanted the morning too. Okie dokie. So there I was at 7 am.... With a choice... Get annoyed with is last minute changes/ crappy communication or take the moment to honor me. I chose honoring me.

I took our golden and went for a 3 mile hike. We saw 2 deer, a couple of squirrels, and a chipmunk I was at peace with nature and mediated on a nagging thought..(I wanted to talk to AH about how inconsiderate he was being!) and in the peace and prayer came my answer. "Shannon, let go. You are powerless over his drinking, his anger, and his crappy communication skills. Acceptance this... You cannot change it. Change the thing you can... You, your reactions, your choices.". And so began my day...

I came home, showered up and headed off to a day of honoring the great gift my marriage gave me... My al-anon recovery I went to a meeting, and was overwhelmed with the messages I needed. I then spent the day with my best friend... A little shopping, out to lunch, carving pumpkins, and then her yummy chili

Today was the best anniversary I've had in years!