Thread: Jealousy
View Single Post
Old 10-23-2011, 03:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
DesertEyes

Hello dbh

Originally Posted by dbh View Post
.... I think it steams from the fact that it's still so difficult for me to trust someone 100%.....
I don't trust people 100%. What I have learned in recovery is that trust is a two way street. I have to learn how to trust one little bit at a time, and the other person has to _earn_ that trust one little bit at a time.

Some people I trust with some things, other people with other things. There have been a few people that I have trust pretty close to 100%, let's say 99%. The only one that gets 100% trust is my HP.

My ex g/f is a recovering alkie/addict/over-eater. I trusted her with my life when I was in the hospital and she was making decisions for me. But I know that addiction is a powerful disease so I kept my medications in a lock box. That way there was no fear on my part, no temptation on her part.

I don't think it's fair to another human being if I place such a huge responsibility on them, that I will trust them 100%. I think I would be creating too big an expectation.

My mom is 98, and still very sharp when it comes to understanding people. I trust her completely when she gives me advice about others, but I don't trust her at all when she says she wants to drive my car !!!

Mike