View Single Post
Old 10-21-2011, 11:42 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
AlaskaGirl

You guys are terrific. Thank you so much for taking the time to respond.

To be honest about why I am in this forum, I posted in the newbies forum that I wasn't interested in AA. They pointed me here. The reasons I am not interested in AA are more pointed to the fact that I live in a very small town and have a high profile job, not that I disagreed with the philosophies.

That said, this quote from Freshstart really interests me: "The folks in this forum feel that the way to sobriety is to strengthen and empower A, and to separate yourself from B, as opposed to admitting that A is powerless over B."

This is where I am at right now... I got a little freaked out yesterday about the possibility of having a seizure. I let that be an excuse to buy another pint and drink a little less than 1/3 of it last night. I did take a huge step though. I told my husband I have a problem. I have never talked to anyone in my real life about this, especially not him because he comes from an alchoholic family and has ZERO tolerance for it.

We are not in a good place in our marriage, the aftermath of an affair he had with my best friend. He is trying to convince me to give him another chance, so he took my admission a lot better than he normally would have. He basically told me to quit drinking for a month to see if I could do it. If I couldn't, I need to get help.

I have a friend that I don't see very often that is very open about the fact that she is a sober alchoholic, has been for many years. I think I am going to contact her and talk to her about my options for seeking sobriety. Just the fact that I am reading so much about what alchohol does to your body is huge for me. I have had my head in the sand for a long time.

Thank you all again. This is a turning point in my life. The time is now.