View Single Post
Old 10-19-2011, 08:02 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
YVRguy

Alaska , my belief is there is no way to become a cucumber once your a pickle.

I think the moderation studies for true alcoholics, trying to get alcoholics to drink moderately , have more or less been debunked as myth....and unfortunately a lot of therapists don't have a complete picture of what alcohol does to a person physiology and how it changes you in many ways you can't see.

The Big Book quotes hint at what is now showing in evidence recently of how alcoholics whole physiology changes during their drinking time and it never goes back.

You might want to read Under the Influence and its companion Beyond the Influence ( http://www.amazon.com/Under-Influenc.../dp/0553274872 ) .
I also picked up http://www.amazon.com/Seven-Weeks-So...9079981&sr=1-1 and it has some interesting information that I found helpful to reducing my relapse frequency , duration , withdrawal and rebalance through supplements but that just my experience.

I don't see these books opposing the Big Book , just actual furthering work on what is outlined in the BB.

Bill Wilson and Dr Bob actually worked on looking for physiology changes and how to counter act the effects of alcohol on people bodies with diet , supplements and of course 12 steps.

I think the resounding voices of people way ahead of me in sobriety and recovery shows the idea of moderate drinking for an alcoholic is nearly impossible in the long term. My own moderation experiments lasted at times weeks or months but I always ended up back at the same place and that was right on my a%%.

Personally I think alcohol has changed my body , my mind and spirit and created such sickness and chaos time after time, I simply see when i think about moderate drinking it just part of my denial.

Seriously consider at least a second opinion from another therapist.

Hope you have a sober 24