View Single Post
Old 10-19-2011, 08:10 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
24hrsAday

Wink

Originally Posted by SteppingItUp View Post
Boleo, I loved that post.

I also see this in relation to steps 6 and 7.

Is God everything, or is he nothing? Well, I believe the God of my understanding is everything, which also means he can do anything. If I am following the process, when I sincerely get to 7, what he decides to do from there is up to him.

If he wants me to be perfect, it's God! It's going to happen. Of course, maybe everything is already perfect, right now, right in this instant. This despite what "I may want" or what "I may think" about "how things should be" to be "just right."

I think that while I sure can still make mistakes, and I'm having to look at one right now in fact, I have come to believe that there are no mistakes in God's universe.

It's just my job to stay close to God and perform his work well (the steps provide a reliable formula for doing that); the results are up to him.

I also struggled immensely with the problem of perfectionism (aka self-seeking), which has always felt awful to experience. At times when it comes back (for oh how that ego grows back), it sure doesn't make for happy or effective work. As a friend in recovery shared with me this weekend, which he heard in a meeting, "I learned so much from my recent mistakes that I decided to go out there and make some more." You mean by living? Yeah, I'll take some of that today, even if all of my old living tools rusted, decayed or needed to be thrown away completely and I'm having to start trying awkwardly all the time with new ones.

The only thing about "progress not perfection" to watch out for, I think, is to make sure that I'm not using it to justify things that are holding me back and keeping me sick, if the appropriate actions are actually right there in front of me, when God has let me know what I'm supposed to do, and I'm not following.

I hope you're all having a wonderful day.

Now I need to go take another look at my imperfections (and address what I'm supposed to do, no matter what my fancy-pants-pride tells me).

With love,
SIU
i thought only Jesus was perfect.. we all need to work the program to the best of our ability. if my way is different than yours.. so be it. live and let live.