Thread: Help!!
View Single Post
Old 10-19-2011, 08:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
wow04
Let go and Let God!

Help!!

I am not sure if this is the correct place to post this, but I am not sure what to do. I will give you a little background. I am a recovering alcoholic/addict. I have over 8 yrs and it is wonderful. My brother and I got into recovery together. He has since went back to drinking, about 5 years ago. When we first got into recovery him and I lived together. We raised our two girls together until they were 4 and 5. I started meetings 11 years ago, but had issues staying sober at first.
Now the girls are 13 and 12. They are very close. I also have an 8 yr old, 5 yr old, and a 2 yr old. I have recently left my husband and in the middle of the divorce process. I have my 13 yr old everyday, her dad is into his addiction and has no contact with her. My other 3 kids go to their dads every Wed, Thurs, & Fri. My niece lives with me also, due to a drug addict mother and alcoholic father.
My niece has started to ask a lot of questions about her parent's using. Is it my place to tell her? I have been open and honest with my oldest and my niece about my addiction. My niece wants to know how to make her mom and dad stop using. I answer to the best of my ability, with the help of my sponser. The questions are getting more and more. I sit up at night crying with her. I know she feels abandoned by both parents. I try, but I am not who she wants or needs.
I love her like one of my own and I can't make this go away. I don't have custody of her so I can't just do what I want. If it was my child I would do counseling, but when I brought it up to my brother he says she is just being a pre-teen. She needs help beyond what I can give. My brother knows all about this disease and what it can do, but since he is denial about having an issue he is ignoring it.
I am sorry this is so long, but I needed to get this off my chest. Thanks for reading