View Single Post
Old 10-15-2011, 05:26 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  
Stryfe

I'm 28. All I have to say that it just gets worse when you get older if you continue to drink if you already know you have a problem. Drinking stopped being fun for me because half of the time, something really bad happened when I drank way too much and got drunk. The other half of the time when nothing bad happened, I put myself in situations that were very dangerous and possibly life-threatening (i.e. driving drunk, hanging out with shady, dangerous and unpredictable people as "drinking buddies") and, by the grace of God, nothing bad happened.

Living without alcohol as a young person is very possible. I've been going to AA meetings for about a month. There are a ton of young people meetings where I live in the DC Area. I went to my first sober house party yesterday with about a hundred plus people in their late teens and 20's and a few early 30's. It was a lot of fun. It was just the same as a house party with music, girls and tons of people, just there wasn't any liquor. At a regular house party with tons of booze, I probably would have embarrassed myself by getting too drunk and trying to chat up an attractive girl (or a girl that looked 20 times better with beer goggles on) in a rude way and got dissed, almost get into a fight and end up throwing up and hungover for 2 days with the possibility of a getting a DUI or crashing my car. I didn't have to worry about any of that yesterday at the sober party where everyone was still dancing, freestyle rapping and having a good time.

I bet you there are many youth AA meetings you can go to meet people your age and make new friends. These people will help keep you sober! They know what you are going through and want to help because they were just like you not too long ago. Where I live, there are youth AA meetings everyday and cookouts and parties every week. Btw, I was born in the Bay Area too! Frisco to be exact! There has got to be some good fellowship programs out there for young people.