Thread: Sponsorship
View Single Post
Old 10-15-2011, 08:19 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
keithj

My experience, both in being sponsored and in sponsoring others, has been to go through the book relating our personal experience. When it talks about the physical allergy, we talk about our experience with what happens when we drink. When it talks about the mental obsession, we talk about our experience with not drinking. When it talks about not knowing why we relapse, we talk about our experience with picking up that first drink. When it talks about powerlessness and loss of choice, we talk about our experience with picking up a drink in spite of deciding not to. When it talks about laying aside prejudice, we talk about our experience with current beliefs. You get the idea.

Whenever we see a direction, we take it. When it says pray, we pray. When it says write, we write. It's much more than just reading a book together. Anybody can read a book. Taking the action is the key. In order to be willing to take the action, I have to see the truth in the book as it relates to my own personal experience with alcoholism. Someone who has seen the truth about their own alcoholism, and has experienced a spiritual awakening as the result of the action, can help another to do the same thing.