View Single Post
Old 10-15-2011, 07:16 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  
mwstylee

I'm also in my early 20s and today is day 5. I started heavily drinking in college (still not sure how I graduated, it's a mystery) and then once I was done with college, I noticed I stopped going to the bars. I just bought huge handles of vodka and drank them alone at home after work. Then it turned into starting in the morning. Then out of nowhere, I was drunk whenever I wasn't at work. I haven't had more than 10 sober days in the past 3 years.

EVERY SINGLE morning I woke up with a hangover, I would say to myself "...ok, today is the day I quit". But then I would be drinking again the minute I got home from work. I've probably "tried" to quit 1000+ times.

Well the breaking point for me was a recent blood test I had. It showed huge, undeniable evidence of liver damage. The enzyme levels were way out of wack. I always thought of myself as young and healthy and resilient and could drink/smoke whatever I wanted, but this blood test really showed how flawed/delusional my alcohol addiction has made me.

So yeah, it's my first sober Saturday in over a year. It's funny because it's 9:15 AM right now, and I've made breakfast, taken a shower, read the paper, and checked my emails already. Usually on Saturdays, I'm in bed until noon!