View Single Post
Old 10-14-2011, 12:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
StarCat
Today is a New Day

Do what feels right to you! I think you're making the right decision.
You are an amazing, competent person, and the people doing the interviews have already picked up on that. You don't need to prove it to them - they believe you!
You just need to prove it to yourself. <3

I've learned that people doing hiring are good at picking up subtle cues about the person they're really interviewing, as well, as long as they've had experience hiring people in the past. Its sort of like how people like us, once we start actively working recovery, can spot an alcoholic from a mile away.
They're catching cues from you that make them believe that you'll be a good fit for what they want you to do. They know what they're looking for, and they've decided that YOU are IT.

I was so nervous applying for my current job. It was posted at a higher level than my experience, so I wasn't even technically qualified for it, but I really wanted to do it, and I had enough experience in some areas that I figured I might as well take a shot, the worst that can happen is I don't get an interview.
They weren't allowed to hire me for that position, since I didn't meet the requirements for the level of the job, but I was their favorite applicant and excelled at the interview, beating out the other people who did meet the requirements. End result? They canceled the position and started one a stage lower, where I did meet the requirements. I had to go through the interview again, but having survived it the first time, the second time was easy.
I was nervous that I wouldn't be able to do this job, but I am doing very well. My manager calls me periodically to say things like, "We need someone to work on such-and-such a project, it's important and high-visibility and you'd be great at it, but I've got you working on too many things just like it and I need you and don't want you to quit so I offered it to so-and-so. But I wanted to let you know, in case I was wrong and you're interested, if you want this project, it's yours."

And you know what? That feels really good.

Test your limits. It's good to take a leap into the unknown every once in awhile, when it feels right. It's the only way to discover that you really can fly.

You'll be awesome! I'm so excited for you! :ghug3