Old 10-14-2011, 08:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Wonderingwife

Not drinking too much, but it is driving me crazy.

I have never posted on this site (or any site before), but need some advice. Over the summer I realized that my husband was drinking much more than I had thought. In addition to the beer and wine at dinner, he was sneaking vodka when I was upstairs or doing various things. I found the empty (6 of them!) bottles in our closet and confronted him. He agreed to stop drinking, cold turkey. I couldn't believe it. Things were amazing. He made it 6 weeks.

Then, he said it was too drastic and he could drink an occasional beer on the weekends. He says all of our friends go out and drink and he isn't that bad, he can control it. Fast forward...there were 2 nights on vacation with "2 beers" at dinner and now there is sneaky behavior happening again. The difference this time is that he is not drinking every day and he is not coming home drunk, but he is sneaking drinks. Last night I found in his gym bag (yes, I was looking), 3 empty beer cans, crushed in a zip lock bag.

I have been all over him, nagging him, threatening him telling him I am going to leave. My question is really what to do? He isn't drinking very much, but I honestly can't handle him drinking at all. I am definitely trying to control him. My fear is that it is a slippery slope...and eventually we will be back at that point where he is "running errands" also known as stopping at the bars to have a drink. A couple of weeks ago he promised to stop drinking completely (again), but he is lying and has continued to drink (even if not very much). I know that I am being a total nag and it is literally driving me crazy. Any suggestions? Thanks!