Old 10-11-2011, 06:45 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
FT

Originally Posted by AprilMay1895 View Post
Failedtaper,

Funny you mentioned the aversion therapy. I was curious what would happen if you tried to mentally relate the object of your addiction to your worst fear. I've always been completely irrationally petrified of snakes, so I tried mentally associating alcohol with snakes. Sounds crazy but it worked for a little bit...told myself that the next can of beer I opened up would have a snake coiled up in it and every time I visualized beer, I visualized it with a snake next to it or on it...the idea is way out there, but it did create some aversion. lol
Anybody who was ever a young party drinker can usually remember at some time picking up somebody's beer can to swig down the last bit, only to find a cigarette butt in their mouth. Argh!

I've never used that imagery as an alcohol deterrent, but I thought of it with the snake analogy.

Another poster talked about being on Antabuse, so maybe it's still used more than I thought. There's actually another thing like that on the market, only it is in injectible form and lasts a month. I'm not sure if it's available in the US yet.

Another visual deterrent for me that goes with the cigarette-butt-in-the-beer-can technique is the SPIT-IN-THE-BEER-CAN technique. I've seen people do it into their empty can. Imagine that in your drink, and it may help it appear less tantalizing! I've also seen people put stuff in other people's drink as a joke. Use your imagination.