Thread: Day 1 -
View Single Post
Old 10-10-2011, 01:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
prayforstrength

Originally Posted by sadsoul2011 View Post
Thanks so much for your response. Our stories are alike! Congrats on how well you're doing!! You give me some much needed hope.

Do you mind my asking about how old your son is? I wonder if my kiddos know more than I think they do. Kids often do. I worry that my behavior has been affecting them more directly than I think.... Gives me a knot in my stomach just thinking about it. Did you talk with him about your situation? How did you handle it?

Do you have any good tips for handling my husband and having alcohol around?

Thanks again!

My son just turned 19 years old. I have been drinking heavily for more than 12 years. After I felt I had a "handle" on sobriety, I sat down to talk with him. I told him "I have a problem with alcohol and I am making some changes"...that opened up the flood gates. He let me know his feelings in no uncertain terms. It also opened up a new communication channel for both of us - we can discuss what we think our weaknesses are at the moment and ways we can overcome them - I don't harp on alcohol, just everyday things.

As for my husband - my saving grace is he is a beer drinker and I drank hard liquor. I hate beer and even in my worst time of cravings, would never turn to it. I think the important thing is you have to want this bad enough for yourself that you focus only on you and your commitment. I saw my Doc right away too to help me stay accountable. Early withdrawal is tough but definetely manageable and worth it!!!! I do struggle with angry feelings once in a while when he is drinking - but this too shall pass. I am too wrapped up in feeling healthy and proud of my progress thus far.

I wish you strength and determination - I know you can do this if your heart is in it - the rewards are infinite.

Peace!!