Thread: Day 1 -
View Single Post
Old 10-10-2011, 12:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
sadsoul2011

Originally Posted by prayforstrength View Post
Hi Sad!! Welcome to the greatest support site on the planet - IMO anyways!!

You're story is a carbon copy of mine! I used to think to myself after a particulary hard night "that's it - I am not doing this again". After a thousand plus promises like that, I finally meant it.

I have been sober for over 60 days now and I feel like a million bucks. The important thing for me was to forgive myself, make amends with my loved ones wherever possible and stick to my commitment.

I am making amends with my son now too - I thought he was oblivious to my drinking until he let it spill in my early sobriety. I wasn't hiding anything from him and he worried and found me embarassing at times. I also planned my evenings/weekends around drinking and I was never really there for him. All that has changed now.

My husband also drinks to excess and has no plans of quitting right now. It is difficult to stay sober while he is drinking - I have gotten to the point where I find his drunken behavior disgusting. I'm trying to be an example to him - we'll see.

I will keep my commitment and never look back. I'm wishing you the same conviction in your journey to sobriety. All the very best to you and your family.

Thanks so much for your response. Our stories are alike! Congrats on how well you're doing!! You give me some much needed hope.

Do you mind my asking about how old your son is? I wonder if my kiddos know more than I think they do. Kids often do. I worry that my behavior has been affecting them more directly than I think.... Gives me a knot in my stomach just thinking about it. Did you talk with him about your situation? How did you handle it?

Do you have any good tips for handling my husband and having alcohol around?

Thanks again!