Thread: Day 1 -
View Single Post
Old 10-10-2011, 12:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
prayforstrength

Hi Sad!! Welcome to the greatest support site on the planet - IMO anyways!!

You're story is a carbon copy of mine! I used to think to myself after a particulary hard night "that's it - I am not doing this again". After a thousand plus promises like that, I finally meant it.

I have been sober for over 60 days now and I feel like a million bucks. The important thing for me was to forgive myself, make amends with my loved ones wherever possible and stick to my commitment.

I am making amends with my son now too - I thought he was oblivious to my drinking until he let it spill in my early sobriety. I wasn't hiding anything from him and he worried and found me embarassing at times. I also planned my evenings/weekends around drinking and I was never really there for him. All that has changed now.

My husband also drinks to excess and has no plans of quitting right now. It is difficult to stay sober while he is drinking - I have gotten to the point where I find his drunken behavior disgusting. I'm trying to be an example to him - we'll see.

I will keep my commitment and never look back. I'm wishing you the same conviction in your journey to sobriety. All the very best to you and your family.