Old 10-10-2011, 05:37 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Augie

Originally Posted by Zencat View Post
I like the cut and paste recovery modality myself. Its as good as any recovery program or better out there. One thing about having an addiction treatment that is meaningful to me is that it gets right to the heart of my problem. I can do that without having to be indoctrinated into somebody else idea of what recovery is. That and I don't play follow the leader to well .
I'm like that too. I listed to what folks taking any approach are doing, taking what makes sense to me and either tuning out the stuff that doesn't fit or using it as an opportunity to gain clarity about what does fit and why. Someone asked me recently what my approach was and the best I could come up with was "thoughtful recovery". I think that much of what I've embraced on behalf of recovery isn't specific to addiction at all. Stuff that's more generally applicable to approaching life differently and cultivating a new kind of relationship with myself, others, the world. It's occurred to me that, had a sobriety-guaranteeing-pill existed when I decided to clean up, I might've gotten clean, but I'd still have had major issues with depression, anxiety and a general sense of meaningless. I reckon, why sober up just to be miserable?