View Single Post
Old 10-06-2011, 10:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
wyldwest

Smile I Finally Decided it's Time

Drinking has been a part of my life since I was born. My dad drank heavily my mom drank socially, my aunts, uncles, cousins, etc... I had my first taste so young I don't even remember how old I was.
Once I reached adulthood drinking wasn't a big deal to me, a couple beers, a few drinks - maybe some shots at the party on Friday!
From my mid 20's I was a daily drinker, a few after work every day then party all weekend. Then the holidays, look out, drinking heavy with friends and family.
Still after all these years (I'm now 46) I really didn't see my drinking as a problem. Always able to hold a good job, the bills got paid, good kids, good marriage, no legal issues.
This year was different, I was laid off and been unemployed all year. The drinking went from after work to in the morning then all day - every day. Not getting really drunk but ALWAYS under the influence. After being somewhere between buzzed and drunk for 6 months straight I started feeling a little ill. OK a LOT ill! Depression, lack of motivation, no energy, growing gut, the list goes on...
I decided about a month ago, after my last big party trip to Vegas that was it. On the last day of the trip I woke up felling quite poorly. I ate nothing, I drank nothing (except a 7-UP just before my flight home) Once home I started to bring myself down. I won't go into details because it might be construed as giving medical advice. But I will say it's working and I feel great today! I QUIT! I QUIT! I QUIT!